Monday, January 25, 2016

This Week in Room 33! Jan. 25-29


Don't forget- our field trip to the Sheldon Theater for a performance on the history of jazz is tomorrow (Tuesday!) Here's what to expect this week in 5th grade-

Science- We will work within stations to explore asteroids, meteors, comets, and moons. Our chapter 9 test on Earth and Space will be on Wed. 2/3. If you have Netflix, check out the show recommended by Miles called Cosmos- very cool!

Writing- I am so proud of our memoir work! Our 1st memoirs will be going home on Tuesday to be shared with families and portfolios will be due on Thursday (please sign and make sure your student has completed the checklist to self-evaluate his/her work). 

This week we are beginning our 2nd memoir piece! We are challenging ourselves to look deeply within for a new perspective to focus our next piece on. We will be flash drafting, revising the expository portions of our memoir, and reconsidering the finer points (focusing in on important and revealing details). 

Below are some thought prompts we are using to study ourselves as we might study characters in a book. These thoughts can lead to new memoir ideas. I would encourage families to use these prompts to spark discussions at home! 

Thought Prompts to Help Us Better Understand Ourselves (or Characters in a Book!)
  • Some people think I'm... But really I'm...
  • Early on, (I had this problem). Later, (I changed).
  • My ideas about myself are complicated. On the one hand, I think... On the other hand, I think...
  • Experiences/relationships/struggles can teach us...
  • When ______ first happened to me, I thought it was about... But now I realize it was really about...

Math- This week we are adding/subtracting fractions with unlike denominators, problem solving, estimating sums/differences, adding/subtracting mixed numbers, and subtracting mixed numbers with renaming. 

Reading- I couldn't be prouder of the amount of reading happening in our classroom! Continue to encourage discussions on books, current events (try tweentribune.com!), and social issues at home. We are completing our social issues book clubs this week and beginning a new unit on author studies!

Social Studies- This week we are continuing to discuss Roanoke, Jamestown, and other European settlements.


Reminders-
1/27 Field Trip to Sheldon
1/29 Family Bingo at Truman 6:30 Doors open, 7:00 Game begins
Fri. 2/5- Counselor's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment